Remote control of DMX Control via a pushbutton

• Hi, Can anyone help me?

I wish to initiate a predefined (saved) light control sequence through a simple pushbutton that can be read by DMX control from somewhere as an input to the PC.

Does anyone know how this can be done?

Also it is possible to specify the sequence to be pre loaded into DMXControl at start up of the PC.

The aim is to have the PC power up and autoboot into DMXControl with a sequence preloaded to start from a pushbutton.

Any ideas welcomed.

Thanks

• Hello
    Of course we can help you.

First of all, DMXControl can do what you want. There are several ways to get this working.

First of all you have to consider which type of input you want to use. DMXcontrol is capable of DMX In, Midi, Keyboard, Joystick/Gamepad. Maybe you have an old keyboard oder gamepad laying around which you then could take apart and connect your pushbutton.

Which kind of pushbutton do you want to use?

DMXControl always loads the last opened project. So if you autostart DMXControl all should be working without any other things to do. i've heard about interfaces which need reconfiguration each time. By the way which DMX Interface do you have or you wanna buy?

For your sequence just use an effect which doesn't repeat an start this effect, when the input is set. Need your decision on which type of input device you are using to explain how to do this.

Philipp

• Hi Philipp,

Thank you for the fast reply... Of course it is obvious (I should have realised this- DOH!). Yes I can easily use another keyboard and connect my switch to whichever key I want and assign it in DMX Control.[Blocked Image: http://www.dmxcontrol.de/forum/wcf/images/smilies/thumbsup.png]

I need to use a tamperproof (anti vandal switch as the display will be left unattended but behind a screen, so a second keyboard with switch attached is ideal. Great![Blocked Image: http://www.dmxcontrol.de/forum/wcf/images/smilies/tongue.png]

The show is VERY simple so i am using a Velleman K8062 DMX unit as it does not require fast changes of scene or control many light fixtures (only about 12)...

I haven't noticed that my version of DMXC (V2.12) retain the last opened program - I must pay more attention nto what happens ext time I open it![Blocked Image: http://www.dmxcontrol.de/forum/wcf/images/smilies/BangHead.gif]

Thank you again - I'll go and try things.

• I experimented a while back with using a remote control for PowerPoint presentations. It has been a while, and I have forgotten which keystrokes the remote control actually creates. It may have been pg-up pg-down, but there were others as well. I was using DMXControl v 2, which did not allow you re-assign keys.

I ended up using a utility to re-assign keystrokes to something DMXControl v2 would accept. I have not been able to get v3 working on my new laptop, so I cannot comment about v3.

Searching this forum for the word PowerPoint should bring up the past threads I created on the topic.

Another solution are one of the macro keyboards or keypads out there. They started around $30 USD a few years ago, but for some reason I am not finding them that cheap at the moment. They seem to be starting around $60 now. The keypad versions have removable key covers, so you can label them yourself. A search for the terms "Programmable" "Keypad" turned several up on E-bay.

-Joe Dunfee

• With the plugin OSC RECEIVER you can use your cellphone,tablet,ipod etc... to control submasters with sliders or push buttons as you want. Look the wiki article, if you have some questions please ask

• I am a little vague about what OSC is. I looked in the Wiki, but don't see an explanation that has OSC in its title. Some ofthe pages were listed in a search, but when I look at the page itself, there is no content. Would you know a specific page to read about OSC?

Is there any physical hardware that works with the OSC system? Personally, I find that I really want something to feel with my fingers, so that I can keep my eyes on the stage when I need to press a button.

-Joe

• Newly created posts will remain inaccessible for others until approved by a moderator.

The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.